Penetrant testing – Based on the properties of capillary action, or the phenomenon of a liq-uid rising or climbing when confined to a small opening due to surface wetting properties of the liquid, Penetrant testing is used for finding surface breaking discontinuities on relatively smooth, nonporous surfaces.
PT Advantages :
- Used on a wide range of material types.
- Large areas or large volumes of parts/material can be inspected rapidly and at low cost.
- Parts with complex geometries can be inspected easily.
- Indications are produced directly on the surface of the part providing a visual image of the anomaly.
- Aerosol spray cans make equipment very portable.