Ultrasonic inspection introduces beams of high frequency sound into the piece. The sound reflected at material interfaces is analyzed to define the presence and location of discontinuities.Angle beam ultrasonic flaw detection is used to inspect welds using the shear wave mode of transmission to detect welding discontinuities such as linear defects and volumetric defects.
UT Advantages :
- High penetrating power, which allows the detection of flaws deep in the part.
- High sensitivity, permitting the detection of extremely small flaws.
- Only one surface need be accessible.
- Greater accuracy than other non-destructive methods in determining the depth of internal flaws and the thickness of parts with parallel surfaces.
- Some capability of estimating the size, orientation, shape and nature of defects.
- Nonhazardous to operations or to nearby personnel and has no effect on equipment and materials in the vicinity.